3.4 announcement suggestions

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 16 19:49:50 CET 2005

(Sorry for breaking the thread, I had deleted all of the kde-quality
messages in my mailbox, so don't have anything to [R]eply to :^) )

Some comments on the announcement
(found here: http://kde.org/announcements/announce-3.4.php
as of Wed Mar 16 18:23:19 UTC 2005)

1. Is there a better term we can use to describe KSayIt, other than
   "speaker-tool"?  It sounds a little akward.

2. "It also allows to read out notifications from all KDE applications."

   That doesn't sound right.  How about:

   "It also allows all KDE application notifications to be read aloud."

3. "Especially partially-sighted people and speech-impaired users will
   benefit, but it should also prove a fun desktop experience overall."

   Starting a sentence with "Especially" seems a little akward to me, too.
   Perhaps something like:

   "While the improvements will benefit partially-sighted and speech-impaired
   users the most, they can be fun and useful to all."

   (Okay, the last part of that needs fixing up, I admit :^) )

4. I might be a bit of a comma-phile, but I suggest:
   "For people with low vision, several high contrast themes,
   including a complete monochrome icon set, have been added."

   Or perhaps an 'mdash' (--) before 'serveral' and after 'set'...?

5. "Kopete features an improved contact list showing contact photos,
   improved Kontact integration and supports..."

   Change "supports" to "support for".

6. "...and boasts eighteen packages... PIM..."

   It might be nice to expand PIM, e.g.:

   "...PIM (Personal Information Management)..."

7. Maybe put "edutainment" in quotes?

8. "Highlights at a Glance" section...  I think folks may have already
   discussed this, but it might be good to briefly describe some of the
   KDE apps.  Some people might not know what a "Kicker" is, especially
   if they're brand-new to KDE, or haven't even tried it yet...

   * "Konqueror (browser), Kate (editor), KPDF (PDF viewer)"
   * "Kicker (panel/taskbar)"   [I include 'taskbar' for the Win32 folks]
   * "Kontact (PIM suite)"
   * "Kopete (instant messenger)"
   * "Juk (music player)"  [or some more thorough description]
   * "SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) images"

9. Further, in this section:

   * "DBUS/HAL support..." -- maybe: "Support for the DBUS/HAL standard..."

   * "KHTML (KDE's HTML rendering engine)..."
     (or maybe vice-versa: "KDE's HTML rendering engine (KHTML)..."

   * "...between 2 PCs..." -- maybe change that to "two", spelled out...

   * "Akregator allows you to..." sounds like reading RSS feeds is a new
     feature to some existing program called, Akregator... not that Akregator
     is new, and it's /purpose/ is to read RSS feeds.  Maybe something like:

     "Read all of your favo[u]rite RSS (news-feed) enabled websites in one
     place using the new tool, Akregator"

   * "KHTML plug-ins ... This does not include Netscape-style plug-ins."

     Perhaps the "This does not include...", through to the end, should be
     in parenthesis.

   * Furthermore, maybe add a "However," to the beginning of
     "Netscape plug-in in CPU usage can be manually lowered..."

   * "more than 80,000 contributions with several million lines of code..."
     Change "with" to "consisting of"???

I hope that helps some.  Great work everyone, and good luck! :^)

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating an all-out tactical