Intoduction and a first question

PJ PJaenicke at gmx.net
Sun Mar 6 14:57:00 CET 2005

Hello,

first of all i want to introduce myself:
My name is Peter Jänicke and i live in Erlangen/Germany.
I am an hardware engineer and write software in my spare time.
Since i am using KDE for several years now (starting with KDE 2.01), i felt
that it is now the time to start contributing.

And here is my first question:
Several month ago, when i browsed through the archive of the kde-core-devel
mailing list, i read a discussion about a "password strength meter" for
KPasswordDialog.
Only a few weeks before this discussion, i had worked on an algorithm for such
a calculation.
Since i think the code which is now used in KPasswordDialog has some
sortcomings, which my code doesn't have, i wrote a mail with a patch.
Because i don't have write access to the kde-core-devel mailing list, i send
the mail direct to the developer, using the mailaddress form to sourecode.

But I got no responce at all, which i not very motivating when you just tried
to do your first contribution.
Could this be because of some (spam-)filtering or something similar?
What would be the right way to convince the developer to take a look at the
code?

PJ