CIF

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 23 01:19:16 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 03:42, Roy Longton wrote:
> This is, of course, not a problem: No doubt the
> developers of KDE also use KDE, so they can see
> first-hand how their changes to KDE affect usability.

unfortunately, most developers are not representative of most users. we tend
to understand the system too well and easily work around problems and
understand even the most dense of technospeak. when we add to this the fact
that usability knowledge still isn't wide spread throughout the devel
community and the problem of lack of  perspective due to being too close to
the subject matter .... it turns out that we do need people who work
primarily on usability and who test on non-developer users.

otherwise, i do agree with you that we have a unique opportunity with open
source because anyone can do the testing, anyone can make the needed changes
and turn around times for being able to test/play with changes is very short.

--
Aaron J. Seigo