KFind

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 18:26:43 CEST 2005

Hi Sergejs,

On Monday 06 June 2005 06:39, you wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> I am sorry I didn't respond to your email.  I had to go through some
> tutorials this week how to compile KDE from SVN, where to find
> kde-nonbeta... So I found kfind-revisited. And I looked at GNOME find
> dialog. Haven't looked at MAC  yet (I've never used this OS) but planning

There are only minor differences between the Mac and the gnome one.

> to do a little trip tomorrow to look at it.   I don't know if I think in
> right direction but if a user wants to find a file(s) he wants to get
> results quickly without additional mouse movements. For example in your

Yes. So the basic options have to be available right there: filename or
filetype/mimetype and start directory(s), maybe also contents.

> dialog for add more options you need to choose an option then go down to
> specify the option and go down again to press Add Current. May be to
> replace a radio button with a button that would show a subdialog where you
> can specify option right below it, and then go to the next option Like in

Yes, this might be better.
Additionally it should also work reasonable good if embedded into konqueror
(which my proposal doesn't :-/ )

> GNOME find tool pushing
> Show more options extends the dialog where you can add an option. But
> actual choosing option in GNOME is a little  confusing and time consuming.

IMO comboboxes are quite hard to navigate, you have to click it to open it and
then select an item from the small listbox. Having them all visible probably
works faster.

> I think it  is possible to make a dialog with scroll bars, so a user can
> navigate through options quickly and then finally having specified
> necessary options press Add options or something like that.  But actually I
> have never seen a dialog with scrollbars in KDE, may be it is not the way
> to do it.

Yes, scrollable dialogs are not nice.
Maybe something like the side tabs for selecting widgets in Qt3 designer ?

> In general if I want to share some ideas I just email it to
> kde-quality at kde.org ?

Yes.

Bye
Alex