[Fwd: KView for KDE4?]

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jun 2 20:31:09 CEST 2005

Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:22:59 -0700, "James Richard Tyrer"
> <tyrerj at acm.org> said:
>
>>I can't see why they would want to drop this since KDE needs a generic
>>image viewer with an embeddable KPart.
>>
>>If we loose this, it will create usability issues since users would be
>>left with the choice of the "Embeddable Image Viewer" which has no
>>features or using a feature laden viewer which is more than you need for
>>just browsing.
>

> James, there are other image viewer with an embeddable KPart that may
> deserve this spot. Look under extragear/graphics.

I will look at them when I have a chance.

However, I do think that we should keep the generic viewer.  Perhaps
KView doesn't need all the features it has and some of them could be
removed.  Perhaps it doesn't need to do slide shows and browse
directories if these new viewers are better at that.

I use it a lot and I find if is simple to use yet has the features I
need.  Also, I fixed the menus to conform to the standards and the
toolbars like I wanted them. :-)

Or, perhaps one of the viewers with more features could be given a dual
personality like KWrite/KATE.

--
JRT