Join the Developers

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jul 6 23:11:14 CEST 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:48, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Apparently, I wasted considerable time trying to discuss the $HOME vs.
>>"My Files" issue.  It was informative; I found out a lot about lame
>>excuses and rationalizations -- about how reactionary some KDE people are.
>

> See it this way: there was a discussion,

I said _trying_ to discuss.  I don't think that I succeeded.  I didn't
see a discussion.  What I saw was a lot of rationalizations and what is
technically called "group think".

Did anyone actually offer any reason that directing completely new users
to the $HOME directory as the place to store their documents was a good
idea.

Did anyone actually offer anything to support the contention that
completely new users understand what $HOME is?

All I say was what can be reduced to: "We should use Home because it is
Home.  To an engineer (trained to be rational) that is nonsense.

I hope that this is a usability issue, but nobody in development listens
to the usability people -- starts to sound like a corporation. :-\

--
JRT

Retired engineer willing to work for free. :-)