[Fwd: Request to mailing list kde-core-devel rejected]

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jul 6 11:44:02 CEST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:26:48 +0200
From: kde-core-devel-bounces at kde.org
To: tyrerj at acm.org

Your request to the kde-core-devel mailing list

     Posting of your message titled "Re: [RFC] One ioslave to rule them
all..."

> David Faure wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 05 July 2005 02:44, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>
>>> UNIX $HOME is NOT "My Documents".
>>
>> Right, this is why KDE defines a "Documents" folder which you can
>> configure to your liking.
>>
>>> So I am suggesting a "documents:/" I/O slave to point to: "My
>>> Files" which would be similar to Windows.
>>
>> No need for yet-another-ioslave, we're trying to cut down on the
>> number of virtual ioslaves and have it all in system:/ now.
>
> Actually, no need for a: "home:/" I/O slave.  It is a bad idea.  It
> promotes the BAD practice of keeping a user's data files in $HOME.
>
> You don't need an I/O slave to get to $HOME, a link will be
> sufficient.  Making a link that points to the path: "Documents=" in
> the user's 'kde globals' files probably doesn't need an I/O slave,
> but just a link isn't going to do it.
>
> -- JRT

has been rejected by the list moderator.  The moderator gave the
following reason for rejecting your request:

"Discussed in private already; let's stop the kde-core-devel noise
now."

Any questions or comments should be directed to the list administrator
at:

     kde-core-devel-owner at kde.org