KControl: Keyboard Shortcuts needs you [Not for 3.4]

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Feb 28 01:19:34 CET 2005

For those looking to contribute,

The Keyboard Shortcuts dialog could use some improvements. At the moment I
think it's a good candidate for the interface hall of shame. The primary
problem is the "tabs in tabs" design of the Shortcuts tab.

I think that the second set of tabs (Global shortcuts / Shortcut sequences /
Application shortcuts ) can be disposed of entirely and that the three sets
of shortcuts can be added together in a single listview.

Some screenshots to illustrate:
Before:
	http://www.svn.net/bastian/kde/keys/kcmkeys-before.png
After:
	http://www.svn.net/bastian/kde/keys/kcmkeys-after.png
And after some additional cleaning up it could perhaps look like this:
	http://www.svn.net/bastian/kde/keys/kcmkeys-after2.png

The above are only some dummy screenshots though.

Merging the three sets of shortcuts is not entirely straight forward because
the three sets are loaded from slightly different places. Each shortcut item
would need to be tagged to keep track of where its changes would need to be
saved.

Are you up to the challenge?

Here are some hints:

* The three lists are m_pkcGeneral, m_pkcSequence and m_pkcApplication in
kdebase/kcontrol/keys/shortcuts.cpp These are all KKeyChooser widgets.
* KKeyChooser is implemented in kdelibs/kdeui/kkeydialog.cpp
* KKeyChooser should be extended to have support for multiple KShortcutLists.
When storing shortcuts in the listview, each item should be tagged such that
the KShortcutList where the item originated from could be tracked back.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download