window tabbing (especially kdevelop)

Luke-Jr luke-jr at utopios.org
Fri Aug 19 01:10:16 CEST 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 08:02, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 18 August 2005 07:01, Jacek Łukasz Krysztofik wrote:
> > Hello.
> > I would very much like to see MULTILINE tabs in KDE.
> > This would be a great improvement for those who work with a multitude of
> > windows, like in kdevelop, when there're too many tabs to fit in one
> > line. The current solution is clumsy ("<" and ">" arrows to scroll the
> > tabline). Note that the majority of IDE applications use multiline tabs
> > in their interface.
>
> I read somewhere that multiline tabs are considered one of the worst GUIs
> ever usability wise, because they tend to change ordering of tab lines when
> a tab of a line from behind gets activated, thus making it impossible to
> quickly switch back to the previous one because you have to go and look for
> it first.

Can't that easily be solved by simply not reordering the tab lines? I don't
see a problem with the selected tab being somewhere other than at the bottom,
but maybe that's just me...

Anyway, this would probably need a whole new API and such, but how about
making overflowed tabzones scale horizontally to fit the full tabbar in the
available space. Then, scale horizontal mouse movement when it is over the
tabbar (so an overflowed tabbar would result in the mouse moving slower
across) and magnify the part the mouse is over, somewhat like OSX's
application bar or such.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios