The kde-quality project and mailing list

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:07:21 CEST 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:31:21 -0400, "David van Hoose"
<david.vanhoose at comcast.net> said:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> I haven't yet, but I do see that Konqueror has at least one regression,
> so I know your regression tests are inadequate.

Hmmm... I think it is time to correct a historical mistake here: the
name of the kde-quality project.

This list is not a place for random rants about bugs people don't even
report properly, but to discuss how to make KDE better and support new
people (especially non programmers). In other words, this project was
never about QA, but the name is really misleading.

So here is an account of what happened so far:

1) Most people who aswered the kde-quality call were programmers
2) Most people integrated to the "normal" kde development lists and
procedures, and went to discuss their issues elsewhere. (IMHO, this is
good, as we naver aimed to be a parallel process).
3) The project did not produce a group of non developers that help with
different parts of the applications, with the exception of 3/4 people
(me included), as we aimed to.
4) The quality website continues to be a good source of information
5) Focused projects to integrate non-programmers are getting strenght:
kde-artists, open usability, etc...

I still think that the idea of a forum to offer expicit support to new
contributors is a good idea. Maybe because I am the one who maintain the
website :) But I really think we should rename it to avoid people coming
over and over here with cheap shots at KDE. I would like a name that
implies that here is not a place to complain, but to help.

What about:

kde-love (yiek!)
kde-new-people
kde-contributors