Massive Konqueror Regression

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 15 00:43:07 CEST 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 01:37, David van Hoose wrote:
> Hi.. Actually all I want to see is some regression tests that the KDE team
> runs on a production box to confirm their code works for a release. Too
> often the release seems like a buggy snapshot that sometimes doesn't even
> compile.

what was the last release that didn't compile exactly?

go look through the tests we do have in svn; there are more than a few. also
realized that not everything can be regression tested, nor do we have the
resources to do the testing for some things (refer to my previous mail in
this thread about syncing handhelds for an example)

now, if you _really_, _really_ want to see things improve (as opposed to
whinging about it and making everyone's weekend that much less enjoyable)
then get involved by contributing resources to it.

as an example, let's say you're really dissatisfied with the state of handheld
syncing and how it breaks from time to time for certain set ups. you could
start a drive to collect as many different models of devices as possible and
install a half dozen different OSes on test boxes. you could then compile
kpilot from svn and do period sync tests of each model on each OS, noting
regressions and crashes on each and passing it on to the development team.
that would be a great help in ensuring that future releases most certainly do
sync properly with all devices and SOes.

and if you think that's not possible, remember that that is what you are
asking us to do. but it is possible given enough manpower and determination.

--
Aaron J. Seigo