Massive Konqueror Regression

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Aug 13 18:38:53 CEST 2005

On Saturday 13 August 2005 09:08, David van Hoose wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > there's something of a contradiction in this sentence ;) you can help
> > development progress, though ...
>
> I'll provide information, but I cannot provide the source to the pages
> in question.

the source to the pages themselves usually isn't the best thing for the
developers anyways. what is best is a reduced, simplified bit of example
HTML/Javascript/CSS/whatever that shows the problem succinctly and directly.
this usually means save the page locally and then removing all the bits that
aren't related to the problem until you have a generic test case. this
sometimes takes a while because it requires hunting for what it triggering
the problem.

this is very valuable to the developers because it saves them from doing this
and allows them to quickly see what the problem is exactly and then go about
fixing it quickly.

> To mention a really annoying KDE regression, every time I log out of
> KDE, KDE Panel (kicker) segfaults.

there is one more "crash on exit" bug left and hopefully i'll get it for
3.4.3. it's a bug in kdelibs. the other 2 have been fixed.

this, btw, is where i find this list to be particularly humorous in name. so
many people on this list are attracted to it because it talks about "quality"
and everyone wants quality but then do the people actually install alphas and
betas? do they have a debug enabled install of KDE that they use for day to
day work? do they report backtraces and create test cases? do they triage bug
reports?

that's the most basic of things that one can do and it really helps when
people do it. the kicker crash on logout problems could have been identified
and fixed BEFORE 3.4.x if more end users had used the 3.4.x pre-releases for
day to day work with their normal configurations.

> I've also experienced several
> deadlocks with the panel as well when configuring it from the Control
> Center. It deadlocks and KDE must be forcibly restarted to correct it.

this is almost certainly your X server .... there's not much kicker can do
itself to deadlock your entire session ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo