Massive Konqueror Regression

David van Hoose david.vanhoose at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 17:08:09 CEST 2005

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 12 August 2005 09:17, David van Hoose wrote:
>
>>I will be happy to answer any questions.
>

> you've said that konqueror has become less useful for you due to "failing on
> certain pages". that was the key message i got out of your email.
>
> but answering questions may not be the most helpful thing you can do for KDE.
> if you can become an information producer you can become a valuable asset to
> the process of development (which is the purpose and theme of this particular
> mailing list).
>
> i'll ballance that out for fairness and avoid discouragement to those who put
> time and effort into these things by saying that for many others, 3.3 and 3.4
> were wonderful leaps forward. for instance, it actually works _better_ with
> my web banking solution. part of the reason it does so, though, is that i
> submitted test cases for people to work on and kept up with the progress on
> them.
>
> would it be possible for you to describe in detail what is failing and perhaps
> distill the pages it fails on to succinct test cases (small html files that
> show the problem clearly)? this does take time and effort. i know because
> i've done it and watched others do it. this is also why it's so valuable.
>
> and in my experience you get a lot further by presenting these in a factual
> manner rather than adding personal analysis and commentary such as "KDE
> development must stop". it distracts from what you are trying to say and
> diverts effort from the solutions you are seeking.
>

>>KDE's development needs to be stopped and as many
>>3.4.x releases need to be released
>

> there's something of a contradiction in this sentence ;) you can help
> development progress, though ...

I'll provide information, but I cannot provide the source to the pages
in question. Konqueror, up through all of KDE 3.3, properly loaded every
webpage even if they were malformed. Now, I get errors while loading
webpages. IE, Mozilla (Windows and Linux), Firefox, and Konqueror before
3.4.0 load the pages without incident. This points to a regression.
For instance, when I log into my account on www.comcast.net, I send my
username/password and get the following message in a window with a
resend and a cancel button.
"The page you are trying to view is the result of posted form data. If
you resend the data, any action the form carried out (such as search or
online purchase) will be repeated."

This only happens with Konqueror from 3.4.0-3.4.2. If I click resend, it
does the same thing. If I hit cancel, then I am redirected to the same
page as before, but it registers me as logged in.

With my FSU employee account, I log into it as normal, but every
subsequent page fails to load.

To mention a really annoying KDE regression, every time I log out of
KDE, KDE Panel (kicker) segfaults. I've also experienced several
deadlocks with the panel as well when configuring it from the Control
Center. It deadlocks and KDE must be forcibly restarted to correct it.

I can provide more information if you would like.

Regards,
David van Hoose