Fwd: Student Offering Services

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 18:45:24 CEST 2004

Hi Bryan,

(Your message to howtohelp at kde.org was forwarded to the KDE Quality Teams
mailing list, which is how I saw it)

Firstly, thanks for your offer of help with KDE! There are lots and lots of
things to do in KDE, so if none of the ideas below pique your interest, there
are plenty more things to do.

AFAIK, there are no 'set projects' for students on KDE, but you can find a
good guide to starting working on KDE on the Quality Team website at
http://quality.kde.org .

If you don't have a particular programme in mind that you'd like to work on,
you might like to look through the bugs list at http://bugs.kde.org for
'Junior Jobs'. These are tasks which are suitable for new contributors, and
provide a good way to get into the KDE codebase. The Quality Team website I
linked to above has a good guide to using the KDE bugs database.

Another way to get started with a programme is to write documentation for it.
This requires you to get to know the programme, and can be a good way to find
bugs and HCI issues. (Disclaimer: I work on KDE documentation, and am always
on the lookout for new contributors)

You also mentioned an interest in HCI. The KDE usability team deals with these
issues. You might like to take a look at their website at
http://usability.kde.org .

Regards,
Philip Rodrigues
Online KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org