Posting Updated Screenshots

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Wed Sep 22 00:01:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:23:09 +0200 (CEST), "Dik Takken"
> <D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl> said:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I once heard that keeping screenshots in the KDE documentation up to
>> date is a problem. Has anyone been thinking about the possibility to
>> allow
>> visitors to the on-line documentation site to upload new screenshots
>> by adding a 'update this screenshot' button? That would make it much
>> easier for contributers and doc maintainers to keep screenshots up to
>> date.
>
> It is a bit more complex, as we need screenshots for all languages. A
> scripting solution using KD Executor,
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=14018
> is being developed by lauri. It would allow to create the script once
> and then generate the screenshots for all supported languages (and
> different widget styles).

Wow, I think that should do it :)

>> While we're at it, we could also allow visitors to add comments to
>> documentation. These comments could be bugs, missing things, more
>> examples, additional screenshots. Doc maintainers could use these
>> comments
>> to update the actual documentation.
>
> Like adding a "report documentation correction or improvement" to the
> page, directing it to bugs.kde.org, already with the correct component
> and data, like the "Report Bug" menu item?

I wasn't thinking about sending it to b.k.o, I was thinking the
suggestions could be added to a comments-section at the bottom of the page
so all visitors can immediately see if someone has pointed out a bug, or
if someone else has done a similar suggestion already. Besides,
probably not every visitor is very good at searching b.k.o, some visitors
may not even want to bother signing up on b.k.o at all, just to send a
small one-time improvement. But yes, it could be duplicated to b.k.o. if
the maintainers are more comfortable with that. But maybe keeping the
suggestions with the documentation itself, and adding a page showing
suggestion-traffic statistics for all chapters could be more effective.
Just an idea.

Cheers,

Dik