qwhatsthis experiment

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Sat Sep 11 12:15:26 CEST 2004

Op vrijdag 10 september 2004 22:42, schreef Carlos Leonhard Woelz:
> So everyone who is interested in helping out, please subscribe. I am
> subscribed.

I'll try to help now and then, seems like fun and it feels you can really
contribute.

> We could follow up the submission with e-mails, bringing more people to
> KDE. Therefore, this effort would be not only to create whatsthis, but
> to bring more people to KDE. And this side of the proposal is what
> attract me most. So who should do this task? Power users, with a little
> training, and developers. I other words, us. What is the gratification?
> Bringing new contributors to KDE. This is the itch we are scratching,
> bringing the community of testers closer to KDE development.
>
> I really would like to see people helping out with this. Should not be
> too hard to manage it if we have a real team helping out.

Ok, i'll try not to be to active then ;-)

> 2) Proofread the text, make it follow the doc guidelines.

Is there more info on that?

> 4) Find the code in kde cvs related to the whatsthis.
> 5) Edit the .ui or c++ code to add the submission.

Found a nice manual at
http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/whatsthis_tutorial/

> 6) Send the patch to bugzilla, or to the maintainer / devel list.
> Bugzilla option requires more work, while the devel list  can be a black
> hole for patches.

I think we should make a list of apps where we can commit directly and for
which a patch to some ml is requested, etc.

> 5) It does not scale well: the things you learned about one app do not
> apply to the next one. Also, most satisfaction goes to the ones who
> create the whatsthis and most work goes to the ones who create the
> patches, so this is hardly a motivating first task.

Well, i prefer the less motivating task.

> On the other hand, developers, power users or long time KDE users may
> find this easier. One solution is that we should not check the content
> as a rule, only create the patches, check the spelling and guidelines
> conformance. The maintainer should apply the patch if he thinks it is
> OK, or simply drop it if it is not.

_That_ would not be motivating.

Toma