Welcome Pack for Doc contributors (draft)

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:14:41 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 19:08, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > One problem I had in thinking about it was its use. Are we going to just
> > send this out to everyone who sends us an e-mail that suggests they might
> > like docs work? Or will we use it to follow up that first e-mail, once
> > we've established that? I've assumed the latter...
>
> As far as the quality team is concerned, I guess you know what fits best
> with your other procedures. If we use it on kde-doc-english, I think we'd
> probably use it as a first email to send to people when they say they'd
> like to help on docs.

I guess we would use it the same way: send it to people who want to help with
the docs.

> Can I suggest two small changes:
> <snip>
>
> > Before you get started, we reccommend you read our introduction to docs
> > work: http://quality.kde.org/develop/howto/howtodocs.php .
>
> Carlos, are you moving the content at the address above into the Doc
> Primer? If so, perhaps it would be better to point to the Primer instead?

Hmmm. I am only partially moving the content to the doc primer. The whatsthis
and kconfig documentation are not highlighted in the doc-primer, and never
will be. But on the quality page I plan to have references and links to the
primer all over the place. Also, linking to the quality site gives some light
to the other guides that a potential contributor might find interesting
later, like the ui HOWTO and the promo and media HOWTO. So if you wish, we
can settle in links to both places :)

> > This should walk you through everything you need to know to get up to
> > speed on writing docs for KDE, but be aware that it's still
> > work-in-progress.
>
> Lauri suggested (on kde-doc-english) s/get up to speed on/start/ for the
> sake of conciseness.

OK.

> Otherwise, it's great. I think we should finalize it soon, since it hasn't
> changed much for a while, and Fab is keen to do a dot story on it :-)

What about waiting a *little* more? The doc-primer is getting almost readable,
and I am still working on it.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz