Welcome Pack for Doc contributors (draft)

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Fri Sep 3 00:45:47 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 Sep 2004 22:11, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> The changes look fine to me. Lauri points out that it's quite long. I think
> we should look into cutting out some of the verbiage. Tom, and any other
> native English speakers here, perhaps you can proofread and suggest ways of
> phrasing the same content a little more succinctly?

Here's my take on the letter. I've not made many changes :-)

One problem I had in thinking about it was its use. Are we going to just send
this out to everyone who sends us an e-mail that suggests they might like
docs work? Or will we use it to follow up that first e-mail, once we've
established that? I've assumed the latter...

---
Hi,

Thanks for your offer to help with KDE documentation - we're glad to welcome
you onto the team!

If there's a particular application or document that you'd like to work on,
that's great! Just tell us what it is, and we can put you in touch with the
right people to get started straight away.

If you're not sure what you'd like to work on, that's no problem. Just
indicate any ideas you already have, and what experience you have, and we
will help you learn as much as you want to do whatever tasks you feel you
have the time and skills for.

To give you an idea, here are some tasks that might suit you:

1. Writing new content for application manuals
2. Updating content/proofreading for application manuals
3. Writing content for general KDE documentation, like the User Guide or the
Glossary
4. Taking screenshots, writing context help, articles, web pages, etc...

Before you get started, we reccommend you read our introduction to docs work:
http://quality.kde.org/develop/howto/howtodocs.php .
This should walk you through everything you need to know to get up to speed
on writing docs for KDE, but be aware that it's still work-in-progress.

After getting up to speed, we strongly recommend that you subscribe to the
kde-doc-english mailing list, where we discuss all documentation issues. It's
very low traffic, but will keep you up-to-date on what's happening with KDE
documentation. You can find instructions on subscribing at:

You can also find us on IRC in #kde-docs on irc.freenode.net . Feel free to
join us there any time. And remember that if you need any help, just ask on
the kde-quality mailing list.

Once again, thanks for your offer of help, and we look forward to working with
you,

KDE Quality Team
KDE Documentation Team
---