New User Guide

C.M.Lotion cmlotion at wanadoo.nl
Sun May 30 19:08:19 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Sunday 30 May 2004 15:59, Gerry Gavigan wrote:
> one small thoughts, hopefully useful.  one question One volunteer
>
> Currently this help guide seems to be organised by function (I may have
> missed something)
>
> For example amid the small but growing group of non-expert converts I am
> supporting - they don't know the question to ask and I am not sure they
> would find this guide helpful.  (And like me they don't read anything...)
>
> Elaborating, one of them couldn't work out how to cut and paste between
> applications - and had no idea that not only was klipper the answer but
> that the little clipboard in the panel was the solution. Once klipper was
> found, its usefulness and superiority became obvious immediately
>
> I wonder therefore if there could be a searchable, light-touch, "How do I?"
> section?
>
> (If anyone thinks that would be a good idea I'll start with "How do I cut
> and paste")
I think it is a great idea (some kind of FAQ/Howto section?)

> ---
> 2) A general index can be helpful - does docbook produce one automatically

I agree on this, as it would help combining tasks to be performed with the
way/program to do it. (I do not know docbook)

Perhaps it would also help to have a look  to different approaches to find
information about KDE applications. This is what I could think of:
- - category: by just having a look at the KDE menu and/or documentation and
seeing whether this leads to an appropriate application
- - function/task: "How do I ...?" /"How to..." (copy-paste, burn a CD, ...). I
found myself using sites such as:
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php
- - search: Google (gg: KDE dvd-burning) Here, the index could be used and an
online search could be offered.

This is what I was thinking of:
- - offering a number of views of the KDE manuals: Content, Search and Glossary
(Alphabetically, By Topic / function)  Actually, only the search
functionality is not included in my installation (KDE 3.2.2) and the Glossary
is incomplete.
- - creating a categorised application list (http://docs.kde.org/) with a short
to medium overview of each program and it's functionality (like the summary
and/or description of a RPM package) and a link to the according application
manual.

The current user manual has a lot of information about the desktop and basic
skills you need to handle parts of the GUI. This could be improved
substantially by including more pictures/icons, e.g. The Standard Menu
Entries (IV,17). Some sites I liked, because they described parts of KDE with
pictures:
http://www.newtolinux.org.uk/tutorials/kde.shtml (describes the desktop)
http://www.lugod.org/presentations/kde-user-persp/ (sort of KDE-tour/overview)

A lot of people review/describe KDE and parts of KDE. Perhaps some of them
would not mind if parts of their writings are edited/translated/used for the
user manual or would even like to write part of it, e.g.
http://www.kde.nl/doc/kde-draadloos/ (Dutch - wireless), dcop, kdialog and
servicemenus for (II,10 or 11).

Currently, I am preparing for upcoming exams, so I will not have much/any time
to participate until approximately July. However, I would also like to help
as soon as possible.

Regards,

Claire