DANGER Fedora

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 26 22:39:41 CEST 2004

Stanislav Karchebny wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>I just thought that Stanislav Karchebny's remark was indicative of the
>>problem.  Discussions of design/engineering and quality are considered to
>>be SPAM by developers.
>
> [snip]
>
> I said "rants", I didn't say "constructive talk" tho.
>
> I am all open for architecture discussion that is taken from a design point of
> view, not from some ranting like "You stupid developers don't see the
> enlightenment I bring and therefore you suck." Neither it that we can't stand
> your light - we're just having our fun and let others have their.
> Design is good, and in this matter a design of fedore can be much improved.

If you find: "You stupid developers ... " in this paragraph:

<<
Perhaps it is more obvious to me as an engineer that has been in business
and believes in the "teachings" of Tom Peters.  The problem is that we have
unhappy customers.  I realize that some developers do not look on the lowly
users as customers -- I have even seen an arrogant 'users be damned'
attitude from some of them.  But that isn't the proper attitude to take in
this case.  If we want the KDE project to be successful we need to see the
users as customers and we must consider that if we have unhappy users that
we have a problem.

then this is indicative of the problem.  This is not a "rant" either -- yes
there it is a little sarcastic.  It is my opinion -- which I feel is valid
-- that developers need an attitude adjustment.  I consider this paragraph
to be: "constructive talk" -- if you do not that is also part of the problem.

If you disagree with what I said, then please discuss it, but it does no
good to make derisive comments and call what I said "SPAM".

And, please note that I am saying that there *is* enlightenment in Tom
Peters books -- it is enlightenment that developers do need.

--
JRT