KDEvibes in KDE

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed May 26 16:21:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:06:59 +0300, "Artemio" <theman at artemio.net> said:
> Dear KDE people,
>
> I wanted to know if there are any plans on including the sound effects
> and
> jingles of my KDEvibes in KDE 3.3.

I don't see any problems in including them, replacing the old sounds. It
is much simpler than replacing the default icons, as it requires very
little learnig to adapt, and your sounds are much less obsytrusive than
the default ones. In the end, is a question of the author pushing a bit
for it, as you are doing now. At least, they could be included in
kdeartwork, as they represent a big improvement over 3.2 sounds.

> I guess there are no such plans, but I'd like to know where to move so
> that
> the old KDE notification sounds get replaced at least in KDE 4. I really
> hope
> to help create THE new sound for KDE.

Why not for KDE 3.3 :)?

> Also, as I understand, there are no planned support for sound themes in
> KControlCentre for 3.3, am I right?

It is just a question of finding someone to implement it, I don't think
anyone is against that. And find it fast: by June 1st it should be listed
in the planned features. By June 22th it should be mainly done.
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.3-release-plan.html

Is anyone working on that? Lucas Tinkl was working on the Theme Manager
for KDE 3.3, but I don't know if it includes sound themes.

If not, you can add it as "KDE Improvement Idea" in kde-look.org and
kde-apps.org, to see if a volunteer appears. Or we can write an article
about the state of sound themes in linux to reach a wider audience. Or
see if any of the people in the qde-quality list is interested in doing
that. Any takers?

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
--