Quality Team and KDE Artists: hello and a Kontact issue

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:58:09 CEST 2004

Hi,

This is a long due e-mail. Please include both lists (kde-quality and
kde-artists) in your reply.

The quality team main goal is to assist new volunteers, making easy to
help KDE. Also, we recommend focusing on applications / modules, as the
main tool to help an application is to know it well.

You guys have been posting a lot of very nice guides / howto on the wiki.
They are very complete and high quality, and I would like your permission
review them and post them to quality.kde.org (in the HOWTO section). He
have already a documentation, programming, promotion, media and bug
management howto, so why not an artwork howto...

Second, I would like to invite you to use the kde-quality list for any
support or test you need.

Third, I would like to establish a channel to communicate the ideas /
shortcomings / bugs in the artwork of KDE applications we cover. For
instance, among the list of stuff to do for Kontact 3.3, there is some
discussion about the icons and the splash screen. Posting on kde-look to
ask for artwork has been suggested, but I feel it is more polite to ask
your opinion on how to proceed first :)

Do we set up a page for this? Do we ask in kde-look.org for submissions?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:19:07 -0500, "Allen Winter" <winterz at verizon.net>
said:
> On Wednesday 31 March 2004 01:01 pm, Tom Chance wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 Mar 2004 18:29, Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Sorry, forgot to send this to kde-quality.
> > >
> > > Is anyone interested in creating a brand new, very professional
> > > looking splash-screen for kontact?  You'll be famous :>
> > >

> [Kontact Polishing Summary snipped]
>
> I might be wrong, but I don't think the kontact developers care how
> the new splash-screen gets created -- by contest or not.  Just as
> long as we have the new image soon, say by the end of April.
> Also, the kontact developers have the final say.
>
> I think this would be a great project for the KDE Artist Quality Team.
>
> Requirements:
> * We want something very professional looking.
> * It should have no text, other than the name of the application
> "Kontact",
>   and maybe copyright info.
> * The image must communicate a "Personal Information Manager"
> * Meet KDE Artist image requirements -- there must be some at
>   http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists
> * ?? other requirements

Note that there are other artwork issues in that thread, including the
icons in Kontact sidebar:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=108074826700842&w=2

We could create a summary of all artwork issues in a page if you think it
is useful. (I am not sure). Obviously, the submissions will be reviewed
by the Kontact developers.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
--