Kontact Polishing

Artemio artemio at artemio.net
Sat Mar 20 19:10:07 CET 2004

Hello!

I'm not a Kontact developer, but a user and I want to comment your post a bit
anyway.

On Saturday 20 March 2004 19:06, Allen Winter wrote:
>  * The splash screen could be prettier.  Is it a good idea to "hard-code"
>     the components into the image?
Agreed.

>  * The kontact icon tooltip says "Personal Information Manager".
>     The tooltip should match the description on the splash? ("Groupware
> Client").
Agree here too - it is very nice to see "groupware client" on the splash
screen when the groupware features are actually disabled in the build :-)
Also, the groupware features will be just 5% of what Kontact does - 95% of
it's job is PIM and this is what should be written on the splash image IMO.

> * I get two Tip-of-the-Days when I start kontact.  The first one
> seems to be from kmail and the other from korganizer.
Here I'd suggest you run "kmail" and "korganizer" from command line and
disable splash screens from there.

There are two more things I'd like to add:

1.When I launch KMail alone and select address book from the toolbar, it's not
very well to see Kontact firing up and loading all the stuff like knode,
korganizer etc. which is unneeded and unwanted at this point. There should
always be a choice - remember, this is what makes everybody move to KDE - an
ability to choose and customize!

2. When I launch Kontact, KWeather always pops up an error message if I'm not
online. I have a dialup connection and I'm not always online. But I often
lauch Kontact to browse my tasks, todo etc. while offline and KWeather's
message is annoying. I think there should be a simple config option in
KWeather - like a check box "diasable 'network unreachable' message on
startup if not online" or something similar.

. . .

By the way, KMail and Konact REALLY ROCK! I can't believe KMail gets my mail
from all 4 boxes at the same time - it saves 75% of my time online. THANK YOU
VERY MUCH!!!

Sincerely,
Artemio.

--
http://artemio.net/exp ::: Artemio's hot sound tweaks
[local time 19:52:51 (GMT +2) 20 March 2004] [system uptime 23 min]