[kde-linux] Configuring menus

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Mar 11 04:26:12 CET 2004

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Wed March 10 2004 09:46, David Baron wrote:
>
>>As I found out, upgrading to 3.2 redoes the menus, moving a lot of stuff
>>around to a "Debian" tree. Much is redundant, some of these work from one
>>click, not from the other. I can manually move things back to where they
>>were in a simpler menu tree but must do this carefully and for each login.
>>
>>Is there anyway to redo the menus globally, semi-automatically with certain
>>preferences? Older system was simpler, even if not as canonical from
>>someone's point of view.
>

> You may not be aware of it, but you just signed up as beta^Walpha-tester for
> kiosktool. You can find it in kdeextragear-3. It's alpha quality so make sure
> to backup anything of value before using it.

I suppose, but don't you think that there should be some way to open
KMenuEdit in supervisor mode to edit the GLOBAL menu.  I believe that this
feature is needed since editing the new vfolder menu system by hand is
probably beyond the ability of many users.

Will the old method of setting KDEHOME=$KDEDIR work in a root Konsole,
exporting it, and then executing: "kmenuedit" work??  NO, it doesn't
although this appears to work. :-(

It appears to me that this would be fairly simple to accomplish.  All that
needs to be different is the directory to read (it should only read the
global directories), the directories to save to, and the permissions on the
file(s) saved.  You would only be able to do this as root -- when opened as
root there would be an option in the menus to: "Edit Global Menu".

--
JRT