Helping with Documentation

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Tue Mar 9 18:19:00 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:17:40 +0100, "Cornelius Schumacher"
<schumacher at kde.org> said:
> It's already quite hard to get an overview what happens within
> kde-quality.

Yes, with a meta-project like that, it is indeeed hard. But we just
started. Let's decide how to handle this later, when things have settled
a bit. Hopefully, we will have even more things going on!

> This would be easier if it would only serve as a place for routing people
> projects, but not replacing parts of the projects.

The perfect example of the utility of a proof reader is on this list the
whatsthis: who proof whatsthis? I did some, in the past, and people told
me _not_ to send the patches to the docs list, but to the maintainers.
But the maintainer may be a non native english speaker, so what should he
do?

We are not replacing anything. This list is a friendly place for asking
for feedback for unfinished work. The doc team lacks man power, but we
beginners can help each other and at the same time prepare new
documenters, saving them the bulk of the work. The specific case is also
about someone without specific KDE experience, someone who could learn
reviewing the drafts posted here. Here is a place for contributors to
help each other, and for teaching. When you answer someones question in
private mail, that lesson reaches only one person. When you do it here,
you reach all other contributors subscribed :)

That said, I agree that people should post all "finished" work to the
respective lists, and that a developers or documenter shouldn't have to
follow the kde-quality list to know what's going on with his app / module
/ area. He should follow this list if he is interested in helping out new
developers / contributors to integrate to KDE. We don't plan to short
circuit the normal KDE procedures.
--
  Carlos Leonhard Woelz
  carloswoelz at imap-mail.com