the wiki pages

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 11:09:50 CET 2004

Hello,

I've been reading all the pro's concerning the utility
of wiki pages for the different modules. I'm sort of
half convinced now :)

So I try to find my bearings. Suppose I'm a new at
this. I buy a boxed linux distro, say SuSe and I
choose a standard install and then -of course- I will
get KDE as desktop environment. Suppose I'm really
inpressed, and I want to get involved.

Now, how will I find the way to these wiki pages? Will
somebody be so kind as to explain the interface to me?

My problem?

On the kde.org page there is only one reference to the
wiki pages ("Community Wiki") and it is really well
hidden ;) And then of course you have to know what
wiki is. I didn't have a clue until a couple of months
ago, and even now I'm not sure if I really understand
it. I thought is was about being able to edit and add
to webpages interactively, but suddenly the matter of
maintenance seems to be all important.

I'm not into all the 'community stuff' on the
internet, I personally never use instant messaging or
chat rooms and all that. But let's suppose that I'm
curious and click the "Community Wiki" link. Then I
get the home page. Well, to me it looks very
confusing... Also, there doesn't seem to be a real
'community' there. I have taken the trouble of
registering, but that definitely is not done. As I
look at it now I'm the only one there (march) + 18
anonymous users???

Now I'v tried to find the Quality Team pages starting
from this home page. At this moment it can be done
true (1)the link under 'last changes' but when we
become less active that will not  be there and (2)
through 'list pages' but I had to wade through a lot
of other stuff first. In the directory there is no
entry for the team.

Now, I apologize if this message is a bit of a rant,
but I fear that after the initial boost due to the
reference on kde news, the visibility of the team will
soon diminish and relying on the wiki pages just
doesn't seem to be enough, unless (1)you get the
support form all the official web page maintainers too
and (2) we get some more visibility on the wiki home
page.

Just some thoughts

Marc