Running HEAD as default

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Mar 9 02:35:28 CET 2004

Joost De Cock wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I spent a good part of my Saturday afternoon trying to plug the HEAD kdepim
> into my running kde 3.2. (I am new to this, so please cut me some slack). My
> system runs RH9, updated through apt-rpm from a redhat mirror. The KDE 3.2
> stable packages are plugged from the KDE servers in Germany. It's release
> 3.2.0-0.fdr.8.rh90

My setup is that I have a separate user account for the HEAD version of KDE
and have the whole HEAD tree installed in: "/usr/kde3-unstable/"
{prefix=--/usr/kde3-unstable).  Then the: "/home/kde-head/.bash_profile" has:

KDEDIR="/usr/kde3-unstable"
KDEHOME=/home/kde-head/.kde
PATH="$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH"

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export  KDEDIR PATH KDEHOME

if [ -n $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ] ; then
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
else
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib
fi

export 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to set it up to use the head version first.

You also need to set this stuff correctly when you build stuff to be
installed in the unstable directory.

--
JRT