[KDE-Quality] Voice-over tuttorials

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Mar 7 22:16:21 CET 2004

On Sunday 11 April 2004 01:52, Kenny Smith wrote:
> Is there a standard to do animated Voice-over tutorials for KDE?  LindowsOS
> uses those flash tutorials, but I don't find them too appealing (huge files
> and only certain resolution). I also think the VNC2SWF is a bit of a clunky
> solution.

They're probably small files compared to mpeg, or even divx.

> It'd be really nice if there were some macro-like program that used
> waypoints for the mouse and such and allowed to an audio voiceover for a
> nice visual tutorial which is basically just a script file and a few oggs.
> It'd be nice to have a "what's this" overview for key KDE applications
> (like Konq, Kontact/Kmail, KWallet, etc).

Even without the oggs this would be nice. The problem here is
that most EU folks do not speak English and also finding good
clear speakers to work on this for free would not be easy.

Voice overs would be a great bonus though. I'm hoping Ogg/Theora
might provide some interesting full video tutorial possibilities.

> I remember some work being done on an engine to do this (IIRC... i could
> just be wishful dreaming).  I now totally lost the page and even forgot
> what it was called.

I used this program a few years ago and what blew me away was it's
"real time" tutorials. If KDE had this engine then it would do just
what you want, and more. It's based on Javascript so it would not be
too hard to port the relevant parts to KDE. The k in k3d has nothing
to do with KDE as it's GTK based, unfortunately.

http://k3d.sourceforge.net/new/html.php?doc=features/features1.html&index=1

--markc