Hello there

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Mar 5 17:26:54 CET 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 02:00, Mark Berry wrote:
> Hi  :)
>
> I came across your website and was quite impressed.  I feel that this is
> an effort where I can actually make a small difference.  (Been looking
> for a long time, and I haven't seen one yet where maybe my skillset
> might help...)
>
> I have been programming JAVA since 1999, and been doing various levels
> of documentation, project managment and software testing to boot.  I am
> not a QT/C++ programmer,

Really no problem at all :-)

> but I am hoping there are projects where I can help out.

Well, if you wanna do something with java and KDE, there are java bindings for
kde. They are part of the kdebindings/ kde cvs module. I don't know how well
they are maintained or how stable they are, but I guess another person caring
for them will not hurt :-)
If developping the bindings is too hard for the beginning, just try to use
them. This also helps really a lot. Maybe you'll find bugs, or maybe you come
up with some cool stuff, which will help promoting kde in general :-)
Also Qt based widget set for java (I'm not really a java expert) would be
cool, I heard from some efforts to do this with gtk, I'm not sure if there is
an equivalent with Qt.

If you don't want to code, do something else :-)
Write docs, try to make up tutorials for cool stuff in kde, etc.
Also there was the plan to collect all existing tutorials for kde and put them
in a central place. So, they have to be found first...

Bye
Alex