(no subject)

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed Mar 3 23:07:53 CET 2004

This discussinon is interesting, so I am copying it to the kde-quality
list.

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 03:15:16 +0100, "Ramon van Alteren"
<ramon at vanalteren.nl> said:
> I think we should produce some guides as soon as possible about:
> 1) Bug - reporting
> 2) Mailing list communication

I agree. About bug reporting: the bug wizard is nice (have you tried
it?). But I guess we can see if there are docs around we can consolidate.

http://bugs.kde.org/wizard.cgi

> If I consider myself as an example I'm uncertain to which mailing-list
> problems with my kde envronment should go and when a problem I'm
> experiencing
> is a bug and not related to the (unstable) desktop/development
> environment I
> maintain.

Indeed.

> I spent far too much time in my professional job responding to
> bug-reports
> that are no bugs but user/environment problems, to not understand some of
> the
> more blunt kde-developer reactions on them.
>
> Putting up a good guide on how to report a bug (and how to be sure it's
> actually a bug) would go a long way in getting high-quality bug reports
> and
> better user satisfaction (for lack of a better term) in writing them.
>
> This obviously relates directly to mailing-list communication.

There is little point in creating a guide the end user will never read.

Ah, _now_ i get it: you mean a guide for the testers. That is useful. For
the casual user, the best is to improve the bug wizard.

> Although I want to stay focussed on the KOrganizer docs for the mean time
> I'll stick this high on my to-do list. Any place I can put up drafts if I
> get
> around to writing them. wiki?, mail?, list?

If it is a draft, the kde-quality is the best place. If it is closer to
the final version, you can send it to the application list (kde-pim in
the case), or to kde-doc-english.

If the draft is small (<40k), you can send it with the message. If it is
big, the best is to host it somewhere and send a link.

> Mailing to the list is fine with me but I'd be happier if there was
> someplace
> we could work in cooperation on guides/documentation. I looked at the
> wiki
> but couldn't find a obvious place to create such a cooperation space.
> Is this possible at all ? Not too knowledgeable on wiki's but I thought
> that
> that's what they were used for?

I am not sure about the wiki, because I don't know how it handles tags
well. CVS was designed to handle collaborative work like that. Maybe we
could put up a CVS server as a sandbox for collaborative work, so when
needed, we can share work.

> I'm not sure if you agree but reading your original proposal both
> reporting
> bugs and easy collaboration seemed like a large component of the
> proposal.

Indeed.

Very good suggestions. Let's see if we can work on that.

  Carlos Leonhard Woelz
  carloswoelz at imap-mail.com