Starting out with a question

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:24:33 CET 2004

On Wed,  3 Mar 2004 21:47:24 +0100, "Joost De Cock"
<joost.decock at astrid.be> said:

> And by 2) you mean the second 1) ? I feel like I should go for 2) and
> install it
> as a user. but I'll take a look at the cvsguide.

The corrected version:

The KDE building guide was designed to permit the co-existence of your
distribution (in the case Debian) and an unstable KDE build. If you are
planning to work with KDE PIM, you have the following options:
1) You can build KDE unstable.
2) You can build KDE stable and only KDE PIM unstable
3) You can build only the KDE PIM unstable module over KDE 3.2, if you
installed the KDE 3.2 debian packages. This option is not covered in the
building guide, I did not try it. It is easy to do that if you compile
KDE PIM as root, but it is not a very clean solution (not clean to update
and uninstall). If you compile it
and install it as an user, but the rest of KDE is installed as root in
another dir, but I am not sure it will work. But I am saying too much and
probably scaring you more than helping :) I would go with 2, the guide
explains it in detail.
--
  Carlos Leonhard Woelz
  carloswoelz at imap-mail.com