KDE Quality action: looking to the future

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Jul 14 16:29:13 CEST 2004

Op woensdag 14 juli 2004 13:29, schreef Tom Chance:
> As you may have noticed, I'm giving a talk on Quality Teams to developers
> at the aKademy this August. I'd appreciate any suggestions on the content
> of my talk from this list, since it'd be better for me to give a talk
> informed by everyone involved with Quality Teams, rather than just my
> perspective.
>
> I'm intending to use the talk to try and persuade developers to co-operate
> with us. Off the top of my head, that will mean asking them to:
>
> - Keep up-to-date task lists
> - Have someone from their team on the quality mailing list
> - Think about, and be ready for, contributions in promotion and
> communication
>
> I'd also like to try and get a bit of a discussion going as to what they
> think they can get out of it, time permitting.
>
> So, yes, I'd value your thoughts :-)

Tom,

Maybe it's not so usefull for your presentation and I consider myself pretty
new, but one of my thoughts is that maybe it's an idea to create some sort of
'emergency-rescue-team' (or maybe this is what kde-quality is about or should
be about). A group of people, with some time, who can jump in there where a
problem appears.

But I would organise this the other way around, instead of creating yet an
other mailinglist to monitor for developers, I would ask certain quality
members to join in on the different devel-lists.

They can then filter certain problems, common misunderstandings, see bug
reports which are a duplicate for the tenth time, and so on. They can then
check if this is clear enough in the documentation, maybe mark some bugs as
duplicate, create a howto on the website, etc. If there is a bigger problem,
they can call in the rescue-team to create/organise some documentation,
create/organise a contest for a splash screen, et cetera.

So instead of asking developers to join the quality list, maybe it is an idea
to make the quality-team the center and from there on spread the wings to the
different developers (|| ~mailinglists).

From there on, some task list could be created... Last week or so, I was
wondering which documentation was unmaintained. Maybe I would like to
maintain the documenatation for an application. I looked at the site and
found some information, but this was outdated. But someone who is looking for
this type of information should find it, I think..... But I understand
everybody is working very hard just before the messagefreeze and I'll check
the website at a later time...

Just my 2 cents and please don't ban me ;-)

Tom