[kde-quality] Quality Teams article, first draft

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:30:57 CET 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 15:13, Tom Chance wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Tom!

> Attached is a first draft of my article on the Quality Teams Project. I've
> not read it through properly yet, but I thought I should pass it on to see
> if people think I'm doing something drastically wrong with it before I
> finalise it!

You will never do anything drastically wrong ;)

While reading the article, a doubt struck me: Is your article an opinion
piece, or an announcement?

Before entering in the details of your article, I think your article is an
opinion piece. Therefore, I don't think I am entitled to "correct" your
ideas, only to give you suggestions. You could make more clear that these are
your opinions, not a collective statement. For instance, replacing "will"
with "should", and using more the first person.

Now some comments:

1) You describe well the objectives of the KDE Quality team:

"The Quality Team Project provides an easier way to become involving in
developing KDE's codebase. Through working in a Quality Team, an individual
can get to know a particular application well and its developers, and learn
key skills such as using CVS, using KDE's bugzilla, preparing and applying
patches, and potentially more. Rather than having to jump straight into
writing C++ code, if you're a budding code monkey you can move into your
desired position in easy steps, and no doubt have a much greater chance of
contributing well written, appropriate and worthwhile code that will get
accepted."

I would put this in front of the gateway part, as the gateway is a desire,
that depends on the developers will to work together and on the ability of
the team members to process the information into something meaningful to the
developers and communicate it in a reasonable form. In other words, lowering
the barriers is a reality, the gateway is an objective. Also, we should say
that the gateway works both ways: trying to bring user feedback to the
project but also educating the users in the ways of open source, Bugzilla,
volunteer work, doer power, etc...

2) I don't quite understand what you mean here:

"Given that projects, including KDE, are already very social beasts, where,
you might ask, does the Quality Team Project come in? The answer is
multifarious; most importantly, it provides a structure that will facilitate
and direct discussions in a way that is more conducive to the discussions
themselves, and to things actually being achieved based on those discussions.
For example, rather than idly pondering the UI of an application on the
developers' mailing list, and occasionally reading users' thoughts on sites
like the dot, developers and the public will be able to feed thoughts into
the Quality Team, who will handle and direct the discussion, and ensure that
the outcome is a series of recommendations, or a conclusive end to the
discussion. Discussions, in other words, will become more purposeful, and
will be more open to time-pressed developers and previously intimidated
and/or time-pressed users. "

Do you mean that it is part of the quality team tasks to organize the users
discussions in something meaningful, or to teach them to do so? (Via
bugzilla, usability reports, wiki, etc...) Or both? If it is both, I agree.
But the regular channels of KDE should be integrated, we shouldn't create a
totally separate channel.

3)

"Another facet of the social benefits of the Quality Team Project is the
democratisation of the social side of the KDE Project. As I have already
hinted at, not every can participate in discussions about KDE, nor in
discussions that KDE developers have on other subjects (an important aspect
of the social side of Free Software communities is that discussions aren't
forceably limited to work). But by setting up Quality Teams, KDE is opening
the door for many more people to join up and take part in discussions without
needing in-depth knowledge of coding, and those teams can then relay these
discussions onto other users so that the project as a whole becomes more
transparent. Transparency and openness is about more than simply making it
possible for people to look inside, it is also about working to remove the
barriers that stop people from being able to do this. "

I don't see how the quality team is gong to bring more transparency. The KDE
project is already very transparent. What the Quality Team will try to do is
guide the users into producing hard data, meaningful analysis, not only
opinions. This way, there is a chance of convincing the developers. It's
important to not that even if you convince a developer, there is no guarantee
that something will come out of it: someone has to take his free time an
implement it. And in an ideal world, the user should see it as something
normal.

4) Political part: I agree, but I wouldn't call it political. Why the
developers sometimes seem to not being listening? I think it is more a
question of time than of politics. I would call the section "Organizational",
or another name.

5) Spiritual: I like it very much! Indeed, you catched the spirit of the
quality team. I have never worked with computers or OS in my life. Why am I
interested?

In general, I like the article very much. I think that it will be even better
in in first person, as it would invite people to discuss.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz