Writeup from aKademy

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Mon Aug 30 23:37:45 CEST 2004

* Allen Winter <winterz at verizon.net> [Aug 30. 2004 23:16]:
> On Monday 30 August 2004 04:36 pm, Tom Chance wrote:
> > On Monday 30 Aug 2004 21:11, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> > > * Tom Chance <lists at tomchance.org.uk> [Aug 30. 2004 21:12]:
> > >
> > > The artwork is a matter of the kde-artists team, I think.
> >
> > I disagree. The idea of kde-quality in this case is to get people into the
> > kde-artists team, or to do artwork for KDE that they wouldn't otherwise do
> > through kde-artists. Unless, of course, the kde-artists team feels we
> > shouldn't be overlapping with you, in which case it'd just be confrontational
> > to pursue the idea.
> >
> Let me add that the new Kontact splash screen and sidebar icons were
> created as the result of a kde-look contest and subsequent discussion
> with the folks who submitted entries.  I recall asking kde-artists first
> and got no response.  Carlos came up with the contest idea and it worked.
> There are a lot of talented folks out there who are very happy to have
> their work included with KDE but aren't kde-artists or developers.
> Let's tap that resource.

I guess I should have explained a bit better first. We are planning
contests and perhaps even payment possiblities for inticing new artists
(Frank from KDE-look is doing this) so in the end, it would be a
direct competition with our effort. Of course we can make it one big
thing, and work on it together, so nobody looses out :-)

One more comment on the Icons for Kontact. They are very nice and were
badly needed, so we should be happy with what we have. Unfortunatly they
do not fit with the other crystal icons 100%. This seems to me to lead
to quality problems :-( I am not complaining or saying anything bad
about the icons, I am simply stating a fact that everyone until now
seems to want to ignore.

Bye,
Ken

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany