Writeup from aKademy

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Mon Aug 30 21:02:58 CEST 2004

Hello everyone,

aKademy has been really cool, not only for all the usual stuff, but also for
Quality Teams. What follows is as brief a writeup as I can manage :)

My talk slides are available online at:
http://conference2004.kde.org/slides/tom.chance-quality.teams.pdf
The video and audio from my talk can be found at:
http://ktown.kde.org/akademy/
And a transcript:
http://conference2004.kde.org/transcripts/tom.chance-qualityteams.php

Feedback from my talk:
o To reach devs, we should use the dot & kde-devel-core & kde-devel... all
devs read at least one of those
o We should send out fresh e-mails / stories explaining the project soon
o Developers didn't know about us! But they really like the idea
o Some are very keen to get us to do artwork competitions
o We have O'Reilly books we can offer as prizes in competitions
o Maybe we could have people promote apps to OS distributors?

Brad Hards wrote an interesting blog entry, in which he suggested:
o Quality Teams should be a training ground for contributors
o We should have exercises for potential contributors, and give feedback
o Maybe we should run training workshops? At the next summit?
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/574

Some other ideas that I talked about with people through the event include:

o Regular competitions like the documentation one we did on the dot(.kde.org)
o Allow people to enter 'WhatsThis' text from the UI if it is missing; have a
facility to collect thes submissions and easily commit them to CVS
o Find ways to get more people involved in writing for the dot
o We should really promote documentation work more
o There is an 'instant gratification' problem with docs, in that the writers
don't get to see their work in the same was as a coder does... how to solve?
o We should do an artwork competition for KDiff3 asap... don't let me forget!

That's all I can think of for now. I look forward to getting some replies!

Regards,
Tom