improvement to the bug tracking system

Hauke Laging public at hauke-laging.de
Sun Aug 29 17:41:53 CEST 2004

Hello,

I hope this is the right address for my suggestion.

I am always kind of frustrated when I submit an bug or something for the
wish list and my report is marked as duplicate of anything shorty after.
This wastes the time of the people handling the bug reports and should be
avoided if possible.

I always have a look at all possibly suitable reports which are found after
my short description but often the existing ones are not found. Once the
problem was even related to language: The original reporter wrote very bad
English which made it nearly impossible to find his report by a key word
search.

My suggestion: Every time a report is worked on the short description
should be checked. The one deciding what to do with the report should then
add some "meta information" (other wordings of the problem or other key
words) to the short description which need not be shown directly but
should be used by the search engine when people want to report something.
This should be done especially when duplicates occur (which are due to
different wordings not to lack of search ;-): Remove the duplicate and
improve the description of the original.

I assume that this would consume much less time than looking for
duplicates. Furthermore it would save the time of the reporters. Nice
win-win situation. :-)

Best regards,

Hauke