Requests & suggestions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Aug 12 19:56:02 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 22:07, Pamous Smith wrote:

> Bluetooth Encryption
>      Use secure connections between Buetooth devices
>      and KDE (AES-128 to 256 encryption).
> Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
>      Use Bluetooth input devices.

I think this is a request for the operating system level. If the OS supports
bluetooth input devices, KDE will use them like directly connected ones.
Same for encryption.

> Eject Controls
>      Eject CDs and DVDs using button next to their
>      names.

Sounds interesting, but could you be a little more specific which "names" you
are taking about, I mean where do those names appear?
Do you mean next to their icons on the desktop (if they are enabled)?

> Windows-compatible DVD Burning
>      Burn data DVDs that are compatible with Windows
>      without any hassle.

Didn't have any problems so far with any media burned with K3B.

> PDF Fast Searching
>      Enjoy PDF search with indexed results.
> PDF Rendering Performance
>      Use the fastest PDF reader on any platform.
> Text and Image Selection and Copy
>      Select PDF text and graphics to copy and paste to
>
>      other applications.
> FAX Display
>      View multi-page TIFF fax documents with high
>      fidelity.
> Full Screen PDF
>      Display any PDF full screen for easy cross
>      platform presentations.
> PDF Table of Contents
>      View table of contents for a PDF.
> URL Support
>      Navigate PDFs via PDF links and Internet URLs.

I guess if KDE's PDF applications can't do a specifc feature yet, you can
always fall back to Adobe's Acrobat Reader.

> Drag and Drop Printing Proxies
>      Manage print jobs easily via individual printer
>      icons accessible on the Desktop & in folders.

Yes that would be nice. I guess we would need some kind of print action
defined in the applications' desktop files.

> Fax Receive via Folder, Email or Printer
>      Receive a fax from the built-in fax modem as a
>      file, in email or printed to any printer.

Should already be possible with current Fax tools, not sure if any of them
have a KDE configuration frontend.

> Fax Sending From any Application
>      Print any document as a fax through built-in
>      internal modem.

As Aaron already said this has been already possible in KDE for quite some
time :)

> Software Update Activation
>      Activate Software Update directly from the KDE
>      menu.

Most (all?) distributions have a graphical package manager (or frontend) that
can be started from the K menu.

> Download Updates in Background
>      Automaticlly download important software updates
>      in the background.

That's one of the strengths of package repositories as used by Linux
distributions.

> Install and Keep Package
>      Retain a software update package to install on
>      another KDE environment without redownloading.

I can only speak for the distribution I use (Debian), but packages downloaded
by the package manager stay accessible in a cache directory, so it is no
problem to copy them to the cache directory on a different machine.
You can also share the directory in a network or setup a package proxy which
build a local repository of the packages downloaded through it.

Cheers,
Kevin