(no subject)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Aug 3 22:14:36 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 21:54, Fergus Morrow wrote:

> > > Hello, and thanks for that tip that is the program I have gone for and
> > > find it "interesting"!

Ok.

Here come the "basic" things:

-autocompletion for the "Look in" dir combo box on the first tab
-turning the "Containing text" line edit on the second tab into a combobox
with history
-add a combobox "contains/wildcard match/regexp match" to the "Named" combobox
on the first tab
-make it configurable which columns and in which order are displayed

more advanced:
-make it possible to select more than one directory in which to search
-make it possible to exclude one or more directories from searching
-maybe turn kfind into a search ioslave so that more apps can use it directly
(konqy, kfind, the file dialog, ...)
-improve the GUI: e.g. on Mac OS X the dialog starts with a pattern ("Named")
and a "Look in" entry. Then you can select "More stuff" and say "Also in this
dir", or "But not in this dir", or "Bigger than" etc. and in the result you
get a almost human-speech like search description:
"Look for files matching c*
in /usr/bin
and in /usr/local/bin
changed after 1.1.2002"
Then press Search and it starts. IMO significantly better than our current
kfind.

even more advanced:
-gather meta data about the files and search within this meta data
-store data in some cache on disk so that searching gets much faster
-integrate searching into the kde file dialog
-become more "google-like"

> >While KFind needs work, the desktop searching technology involves with
> >fascinating usability and technology concepts. There are several
> >interesting discussions about this.
> >
> >See this thread for more information:
> >http://lists.kde.org/?t=108528838700001&r=3&w=2
> >
> >And this site for design ideas
> >http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/ubiquitous_searching/index.html

Yes, and improving kfind is a first step I'd say.

> Thanks again everyone. I have one question though, What imaging software
> should I use for Linux?
> This software will be used for iconsets, themesets, and some GUI things.
> I have the  normal imaging apps like:
> Inkscape
> The Gimp
> Sodipodi
> But I feel I need more or need to develop my skillls with them. So does
> anyone know of some good graphics tutorials and guides? Can I pt my
> Blender3d skill to use?

Of course, we always need good artists :-)

Bye
Alex