[kde-linux] KDE 3.2.1 after konstruct

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 21 22:39:55 CEST 2004

Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have used Konstrukt once to install a new KDE and
> IIRC there is an excellent README that explains it
> all.

Konstruct encourages people that have NEVER installed anything from source
to install KDE from source.  Therefore, instructions that are more than
sufficient for people that know what they are doing are not sufficient for
newbies that have no idea what they are doing.  These terse instructions
are simply not adequate for a newbie:

> After installation
> ==================
> After installation you have to set some variables allowing your system to find
> KDE binaries and libraries and KDE to allow to find its own files, for Bash:
>
>   export QTDIR=~/kde3.2.2
>   export KDEDIR=~/kde3.2.2
>   export KDEDIRS=~/kde3.2.2
>
>   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/kde3.2.2/lib
>   export PATH=~/kde3.2.2/bin:$PATH
>
> Setting KDEHOME too, e.g. "export KDEHOME=~/.kdetest", will tell KDE to save
> your settings to this directory and leave default ~/.kde directory unaffected.
>
> On shadow password systems you have to set $(prefix)/bin/kcheckpass SUID root
> or SGID shadow - otherwise you will not be able to unlock a locked desktop.
>
> The complete KDE desktop is started with "startkde", most distributions start
> it if you set it to the WINDOWMANAGER variable in your shell initializations.

They are also incorrect if you install it globally on Linux.

IMHO, a newbie level tutorial is needed.  It is axiomatic that if the READ
ME were sufficient for newbies that they wouldn´t be doing the
configuration wrong and then asking why it doesn´t work.

It is also possible that the README needs to be updated for 3.2.x to cover
details of the vfolder menu system.

--
JRT