[kde-linux] KDE 3.2.1 after konstruct

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 21 06:13:59 CEST 2004

Michael S. Dunsavage wrote:

> I used konstruct to compile kde 3.2.1 on Redhat 9.0
>
> KDE loads okay, for the most part.
>
> However,
>

> When I click no the K-menu button under the All Applications heading
> it's empty and says No Entries grayed out.
>
> I cannot open Date and Time format to change the clock format to 24 hour
> time
>
> I cannot open control cente from the little magnifying glass on the
> start bar
>
> running kcontrol from the konsole gets
>  kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from
> /var/tmp/kdecache-mikesd/ksycoca
> kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
> Defaulting to Settings/
>
> Using kmenuedit won't save any of the menus

KMenuedit should save changes for the user account that opens it.

> I have set exports in .bashrc

Changes to the environment should be put in: profile, ~/.bash_profile, or
in a 'profile.d' script.  Since these are global settings they should not
be put in your user's $HOME files.

>    export QTDIR=/usr/local/kde3.2.1

Is this a TYPO?  Didn't you install Qt in: "/usr/local/qt-3.3.1/"?

>    export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde3.2.1
>    export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde3.2.1
>    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/kde3.2.1/lib
>    export PATH=/usr/local/kde3.2.1/bin:$PATH
>
>    export KDEHOME=~/.kde

I do not know if this is the problem but that is not the correct way to set
it up.  Linux/Bash specific instructions are to place two scripts in:
"/etc/profile.d/".  These must be root:root:544:

kde.sh
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<
# KDE initialization script (sh)

KDEDIR="/usr/local/kde3.2.1"
KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
PATH="$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH"
KDEDIRS="/usr/local/kde3.2.1:/usr:/usr/local"

export KDEDIR KDEHOME PATH KDEDIRS

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<

qt.sh
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<
# Qt initialization script (sh)

QTDIR="/usr/local/qt-3.3.1"
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
PATH="$QTDIR/bin:$PATH"

export QTDIR MANPATH PATH

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<

Your paths may be different, and please check to be sure that they are correct.

You should NOT use: "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" on Linux except for SO overrides.

As root, add to: /etc/ld.so.conf:

	/usr/local/kde3.2.1/lib
	/usr/local/qt-3.3.1/lib

If there are older versions of these in the file, be certain that the newer
ones are added ahead of them.

Then as root, execute: ldconfig.

You will have to restart KDE for these changes to take effect.

There is a bug (status WONTFIX) in KDM.  Your configuration file needs to
be edited [as root].  Open the file: "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/kdmrc"

These two lines in the: [X-*-Core] section should be as follows:

SystemPath=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
UserPath=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

Do not add any other additional PATH entries here.  Use a 'profile.d' script.

Also note that: "/usr/X11R6/bin" should be added in: "/etc/profile" {paths
may vary}.

--
JRT