[kde] Bizarre custom shortcut result

Richard Fish rjf at fishcode.org
Sat Apr 17 10:19:46 CEST 2004

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Richard Fish wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a bizarre problem binding to a particular key sequence in KDE
>> 3.2.
>> The problem is that I cannot bind any action to 'Alt+<'.  Or more
>> accurately, KDE sees "Alt+Shift+<" as "Alt+Shift+>".  I open the
>> Keyboard Shortcuts area of the Control Center, select any global
>> action, and press the "Custom" shortcut key.  I press "Alt", "Shift"
>> and "<", but binding that is captured is "Alt+>".  I've checked with
>> xev, and all of the keys are translated correctly by X.  Also,
>> pressing "Alt", "Shift", and ">" produces the same "Alt+>" shortcut.
>>
>> Before I report this as a bug, would somebody try to duplicate this
>> on their system, so I know if it is just something unique to my setup?
>

> What keyboard layout are you using?
>
> IIRC, with some keyboard layouts: "Shift+<" is ">".

I'm using keyboard model "HP Internet Keyboard" with the "US English"
layout, so '<' is actually produced with "Shift-,", and '>' is produced
with "Shift-.".

So in reality, I should have written above "...KDE sees both
'Alt+Shift+,' and 'Alt+Shift+.' as 'Alt->'.  It is important to note
that I see this with _only_ the keybinding dialog.  '<' and '>' are
generated correctly for every other KDE application and input.
Addtionally, 'Alt+Shift+,' produces no characters in any other KDE
application.