Quality in Open Source Software development

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Apr 12 01:22:59 CEST 2004

Alessio Maria Braccin wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> first to all i have to apologize because, maybe, this message is off-topic
> here.
> I just want to let you know that there is a web survey regarding quality in
> Open Source Development at this address:
>
>         http://rebol.altervista.org/survey.php

I have problems with #10.  I answered: "I don't know" since the other
answerers didn't represent my thoughts on the subject.

What is necessary is for developers to pay more attention to the user's
needs.  IMHO, the major obstacle here is the developer's attitude towards
users.  I can come up with some specific examples, but the proper term to
describe this attitude is 'arrogance':

	a feeling or an impression of superiority manifested in an
	overbearing manner or presumptuous claims

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=arrogance&x=18&y=15

Some developers take this as an insult, but it is only meant as
descriptive.  Actually, I would use the term to describe myself, but the
fact that I am an arrogant overbearing perfectionist doesn't seem to
prevent me from seeing the users' needs.  Perhaps it is because I spend
time answering user's questions on support lists.

--
JRT