[NEW PROJECT] DCOP Net Server

Raphael Langerhorst raphael-langerhorst at gmx.at
Sun Apr 4 21:43:44 CEST 2004

On Sunday 04 April 2004 11:14, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 04 April 2004 10:34, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> [...]
>
> > and I'll read it through today. This evening (GMT+2) I will probably know
> > if D-BUS is used or DCOP. So far I haven't seen if D-BUS provides
> > inter-host communication, but from what I've read so far it might be
>
> I am pretty sure it does. I remember reading a thread on the freedeskop.org
> mailinglist where the discussion involved using HAL across networks to
> discover hardware on thin clients.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

yes, looks like!! There is not much on exactly this topic in the docs except
this sentence:

"An address can also specify TCP/IP sockets, or any other transport defined in
future iterations of the D-BUS specification."

Also I searched the sourcecode for the keyword "tcp" and found a function for
creating a server listening on a tcp port...

Well, this sounds good :-)

So the technology is already there, which is a great thing. I won't do
anything in respect to adding this support to DCOP - because as someone
already pointed out it might be wasted time as soon as D-BUS gets the main
IPC technology used.... and D-BUS isn't far off (I think).

DCOP Net Server won't happen, if someone needs network transparent
communication he/she should use D-BUS.

Thanks all for helping, that actually saved me a lot of time.

Regards,
Raphael