Open Source AI Definition: Version 0.0.3 released, planning a global outreach

The Open Source Initiative do-not-reply at opensource.org
Wed Nov 22 21:01:09 GMT 2023

Open Source Initiative

		Unsubscribe [1]

		View in your browser [2]

The OSI's effort to shepherd the community in defining Open Source AI has
been steadily moving forward. We’ve been hosting community discussions
throughout the year, and we called on speakers from law, academia, NGOs,
enterprises and the OSS community to present webinars [3] addressing
pressing issues and potential solutions. I encourage you to read my wrap up
of the Deep Dive AI 2023 [4] for more detail about what we’ve
accomplished.

The TL:DR is that we’re off to a good start and the effort is continuing.
The Definition of Open Source AI currently stands at version 0.0.3. The
language of the Four Freedoms and the current draft Definition have been
honed based on input from the most recent workshops with very different
stakeholders in Raleigh, Monterey and Addis Ababa.

One more in-person workshop is now scheduled before the end of the year:
Dec 12 at the Linux Foundation AI.Dev conference in San Jose [5]. As these
conversations continue, everyone is invited to review and comment on v.
0.0.3 [6].

The work done in 2023 was made possible by contributions from our sponsors
[7] and your donations [8]. In 2024 we intend to expand our reach to other
communities with a goal of reaching a 1.0 release of the Open Source AI
Definition by the end of 2024.

Stefano Maffulli
Executive Director, OSI

_I hold weekly office hours on Fridays [9]with OSI members: book time if
you want to chat about OSI’s activities, if you want to volunteer or have
suggestions. _

[Register] [10]

 		AI.dev: Open Source GenAI & ML Summit

OSI will be at #AIdotDev: Open Source GenAI & ML Summit. LIVE on Dec 12 in
San Jose! Let's pioneer new paths & ignite innovation in #OpenSource
generative AI + machine learning. Save 20% with code SAVE20AI:

 		Register today

 		DPGA members engage in Open Source AI Definition workshop

The OSI led a workshop to define Open Source AI and joined the subsequent
presentation by the AI Community of Practice (CoP) of the DPGA Read more
[11].

 		Nerdearla reflects on openness and inclusivity

Reflections on Nerdearla 2023 in Buenos Aires, organized by sysarmy,
including the presentation of “25 Years of Open Source.” Read more
[12].

 		Governments turn to Open Source for sovereignty

The German government has launched a new Open Source software project
called openDesk, which aims to reduce the country’s dependency on
proprietary software vendors and support transparency and interoperability.
Read more on OpenSource.net [13].

[Join the OSI] [14]

 		Support OSI by becoming a member

Let's build a world where knowledge is freely shared, ideas are nurtured,
and innovation knows no bounds!

 		Join the Open Source Initiative! [14]

 		OSI in the news

 	* [15]With Functional Source License, Sentry wants to grant developers
freedom ‘without harmful free-riding’ [16] -TechCrunch
 	* Making sure open source doesn’t fail AI [17] - InfoWorld
 	* Open source isn't ready for generative AI. How stakeholders are
changing this light bulb together [15] - ZDNet
 	* Open Source Initiative (OSI) Becomes New Home For Former Opensource.com
Community [18] - TFiR

 		And a huge shoutout to all of our renewing sponsors!

Thanks to the sponsors of Deep Dive: Defining Open Source AI

 	* Sysdig
 	* Tidelift
 	* GitHub
 	* Perforce
 	* Bloomberg
 	* M4SS

Are you interested in sponsoring or partnering with the OSI? Contact us to
find out more about how your organization can promote open source
development, communities and software

Contact us [19]

		  [Twitter] [20]  [Web] [21]  [Linkedin] [22]  [Youtube] [23]

Links:
------
[2] /https://members.opensource.org/civicrm/?civiwp=CiviCRM&q=civicrm%2Fmailing%2Fview&reset=1&id=546&cid=80641&cs=858d5e584dbcc13769c85a25bc88140e_1700686808_168
[3] https://opensource.org/events/deep-dive-ai-webinar-series-2023/