Promoting GnuPG support for Okular and addition to Gpg4win

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at gnupg.org
Thu May 25 12:41:00 BST 2023

Hi,

On Monday 22 May 2023 22:01:59 CEST Paul Brown wrote:
> My next steps are going to be take your text and
> 1. Go over it, copyedit it, proofread it, make it into something that can
> pass as a press release

> 2. Distill it into what we can use in the dot, ie. something usually a bit
> shorter for a quick 5 minute read.

Thanks!

> Love that example, but maybe we should find something less controversial to
> hammer the message home. Maybe the opposite?

Sure, it was of course meant a like a yoke.

> Signing a peace treaty? Or the original charter of the EU? You know: "If the
> original founders of the EU  needed to sign the charter now, the  best way
> to do that would be by using... blah blah blah."

We should probably leave that example out though. I could not really find a
source for what is legal where etc. and I don't want to make wrong claims
about European Laws. We have used it quite a lot in Germany and Austria.

But maybe we can just say that with Okular / GnuPG you can do Qualified
electronic signatures and then just link the Wikipedia Article to explain [1]?
Details about the supported ECC Curves which are now supported by GnuPG and
technical part of the PDF Signature Spec, but are not supported by other
clients would then really be more for a technical article

> What we need form you folk is media. Images, explanatory illustrations, that
> video you mentioned, whatever. Without graphical media this story will not
> have the impact it deserves.

The first screenshot is from installing Gpg4win, because Okular is not yet
installed by default. So users have to make an additional click to get it.
I don't really think this screenshot needs to be included but I added it
anyway.
https://download.gnupg.com/files/aheinecke-da367008/1_gpg4win-install.png

If that does not work for you we can of course do some additional screenshots.

Here is how you verify a document signed by a different Software. I included
Kleopatra at the top to show that it automatically imports and validates the
certificates.
https://download.gnupg.com/files/aheinecke-da367008/2_verify-documents.gif

Here is how you sign "premade" signature fields which can be used for "co
signing" a document.
https://download.gnupg.com/files/aheinecke-da367008/3_sign-signature-fields.gif

And my favorite one, sign with including your own stamp or logo:
https://download.gnupg.com/files/aheinecke-da367008/4_sign-with-own-layout.gif

> Once we have the story up on your site, our site, and delivered via press
> release to media outlets, we will do a social media series of posts to get
> it out also to the general public.

> Does this sound okay to you?

Thats sounds great. Thanks again for your help!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_electronic_signature

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, B.Reiter, A.Heinecke        Mail: board at gnupg.org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-211-28010702