Joint blog with KDAB about KDE Frameworks libraries

Frances Tait frances.tait at kdab.com
Thu Jan 21 11:35:01 GMT 2021

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update on KDE’s marketing profile these days :-)
I went with Ivan’s suggestion as the recording was yesterday afternoon, but now I know what to say in the future!

Any progress on the blog?

Do you need anything from me?

Frances

> On 20 Jan 2021, at 17:37, Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:
>
> On miércoles, 20 de enero de 2021 12:30:31 (CET) Frances Tait wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>
> Hello Frances,
>
> Sorry for not answering earlier. My email borked and I just got it back.
>
>> An unrelated question: I’m writing a very short intro for our Kalle
>> Dalheimer and Ivan Čukić for a C++ audience and want to mention their
>> involvement in KDE. Is it accurate/ok to describe KDE like this (NOTE this
>> is already longer than I need it to be, and the audience may not even have
>> heard of KDE):
>>
>> "KDE, the free/open source, graphical environment project".
>
> KDE used to be a synonym of that, but not anymore. KDE now describes the
> community. And the community creates KDE the software, which is not only the
> graphical desktop environment (which is now known as "Plasma").
>
> KDE does develop Plasma, the desktop, correct, but also a bunch of popular
> apps, like Krita for digital artists; Kdenlive for video editors; Kdevelop for
> developers; Okular for reading, annotating and signing documents (like PDFs);
> LabPlot for data analysts; a full-featured web browser called Falkon; an
> educational suite of activities for kids from 2 to 10 called GCompris; Kontact
> for managing email, calendars, contacts, etc.; ... It is a very long list!
>
> KDE also produces frameworks that facilitate development. Probably the most
> popular of which right now is Kirigami, that helps developers create software
> that works on all kinds of devices, like computers, mobiles, TVs, car
> infotainment systems, etc. But Kirigami is not the only framework either, but
> Ivan will be able to fill you in better than me.
>
>> I wanted to emphasise the breadth of what KDE offers (not just desktop). If
>> you have something punchy and SHORT that’s better, I’d be very grateful.
>> SHORT NOTICE: I need it by this afternoon :-)
>
> So, riffing off of Ivan's suggestion, maybe something like:
>
> "KDE, the Community that produces the biggest free and open source C++
> projects, ..."
>
> or something like that?
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul
> --
> Promotion & Communication
>
> www: http://kde.org
> Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/kdecommunity
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/kde

----

Frances Tait | frances.tait at kdab.com | Marketing and Partner relations
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - The Qt, OpenGL and C++ Experts

www.kdab.com <https://www.kdab.com/>
Twitter:  @KDABQt