accessing a remote CUPS server

Norman Carver n.carver at mchsi.com
Fri Sep 18 06:21:29 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 08:15:52 am Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> And how do I have to configure my local CUPS server to mirror the printers
> of a remote CUPS server? Sorry, but I couldn’t find anything in this
> direction, neither on http://localhost:631 nor via Google. Note that I want
> to mirror all printers of the remote CUPS server automatically, not add
> selected printers by hand.

All I have to do is set "Browsing On" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf for both the
remote CUPS server with its local printers and the local CUPS, and all
the remote server's printers automatically show up in the local CUPS.
On my home LAN, it took only a few seconds for the remote printers
to show up after I turned browsing on for the remote CUPS (I normally
disable it).  The relevant section in my cupsd.conf seems to be:

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all

(Note: viewing available printers in browser:
localhost:631 > Manager Printers)

Hope this helps you,
Norm