accessing a remote CUPS server

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 16 12:28:25 CEST 2009

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. September 2009 21:37:41 schrieb Cristian Tibirna:
>> I see in the rest of this thread that you are using kubuntu. Try finding on
>> your system (or installing with ... synaptics?) the system-printer-
>> configuration tool (sorry, I don't know kubuntu very well). This tool
>> should allow you to configure the printer server as you want.
>
> Hmm, something like system-printer-configuration doesn’t seem to exist on
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu. But if you meant, I should configure the local CUPS server
> instead of KDE, I could also use the web frontend under http://localhost:631,
> couldn’t I?
>
> Do you mean, I should configure the local CUPS server to use another server?
> This could solve my problem. However, I actually wanted to configure KDE to use
> the remote CUPS server directly so that I could very well remove the local
> CUPS server altogether.

Sorry to tell you this, but you can't configure KDE-4 for printers
because KPrint does not exist in KDE-4.  So, you must have CUPS.  There
is a KDE version of the System-Printer front end for CUPS, but I suggest
using: http://localhost:631 to configure it.

> I’d really like to know whether the print system of KDE 4 can only contact
> localhost or whether it can contact CUPS servers on arbitrary hosts, as it was
> the case with KDE 3.5. Surprisingly, noone seems to know the answer (or
> doesn’t want to give it).

As I said, there is not KDE print system in KDE-4, Qt uses CUPS directly.

--
JRT