accessing a remote CUPS server

Wolfgang Jeltsch fmp0d6sw at acme.softbase.org
Tue Sep 15 13:25:38 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 14. September 2009 21:37:41 schrieb Cristian Tibirna:
> I see in the rest of this thread that you are using kubuntu. Try finding on
> your system (or installing with ... synaptics?) the system-printer-
> configuration tool (sorry, I don't know kubuntu very well). This tool
> should allow you to configure the printer server as you want.

Hmm, something like system-printer-configuration doesn’t seem to exist on
Ubuntu/Kubuntu. But if you meant, I should configure the local CUPS server
instead of KDE, I could also use the web frontend under http://localhost:631,
couldn’t I?

Do you mean, I should configure the local CUPS server to use another server?
This could solve my problem. However, I actually wanted to configure KDE to use
the remote CUPS server directly so that I could very well remove the local
CUPS server altogether.

I’d really like to know whether the print system of KDE 4 can only contact
localhost or whether it can contact CUPS servers on arbitrary hosts, as it was
the case with KDE 3.5. Surprisingly, noone seems to know the answer (or
doesn’t want to give it).

Best wishes,
Wolfgang