accessing a remote CUPS server

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Mon Sep 14 21:37:41 CEST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. September 2009 12:24:12 schrieb Cristian Tibirna:
> > On Monday 14 September 2009 04:29:17 Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > > So how do I make KDE 4 use the CUPS server of our department instead of
> > > my local CUPS server?
> >
> > Try using the system configuration tools of your linux distribution to
> > add a remote printer to your queues.
> >
> > E.g. for most openSUSE versions and variants, you can use yast.
> >
> > For some distributions, the kubuntu developed
> > system-printer-configuration tool is included. It is a PyKDE application
> > that should allow you to configure remote printers.
>
> Hello Cristian,
>
> do you mean, I should add all remote printers I want to use by hand? This
>  is not what I want to do. I want to tell KDEPrint to use a remote CUPS
>  server instead of the local one so that I can automatically access all
>  printers provided by this server.

No. I thought you just wanted one particular printer.

Your Linux distro should allow you to attach to a remote printer SERVER
exactly the way you want. You can even attach to multiple servers.

I see in the rest of this thread that you are using kubuntu. Try finding on
your system (or installing with ... synaptics?) the system-printer-
configuration tool (sorry, I don't know kubuntu very well). This tool should
allow you to configure the printer server as you want.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org